Build Your Word Know-How—and Stand Out
The right words help you make a good impression—smart, professional, and trustworthy. Poor word choices can make coworkers, teachers, friends, or editors think you're unprofessional, uneducated, or lazy. It's critical that you learn the best methods for preventing wrong-word problems and catching errors in your writing.
Word Savvy teaches you simple, easy ways to confidently avoid mistakes and ensure your success.
- Distinguish between confusing word pairs: What's the difference between accept and except or sight, cite, and site?
- Confidently use commonly misused words: What do nonplussed, quay, gourmand, and ambivalent really mean?
- Get rid of mistakes in your speech and writing: Did you know diligency isn't a word?
- Apply the rules (and exceptions) for tricky singulars and plurals: What's the plural of addendum?
- Learn how to keep up with buzzwords and how to tell when the buzz wears off: What are the best strategies for staying on top of popular jargon—and avoiding irritating your coworkers with words that are past their prime?
- Plus, identify the keywords that will make your résumé stand out: What industry-related words and powerful verbs will get your résumé past the automated scanning software?
No matter what kind of writing you do in your day-to-day life, Word Savvy gives you the strategies so that you can recognize, remember, and use the right word—every time.