You'll Love This eBook Excerpt If:
- You have a short story manuscript ready for publication
- You're looking for examples of cover letters for short stories and what not to include
- You want to learn more about formatting and submitting your short story
Do you have a great short story? Do you want to get your work published? Buy Short Stories, a 15-page excerpt from the bestselling eBook, Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript, 3rd Edition, and learn what you need to submit short stories to a publication, agent, or editor, including the best way to request writer's guidelines, what to include when writing a cover letter, and how to create your own reply postcards.
Packed with tons of submission advice, formatting tips, and examples of cover letters, short story manuscript pages, and reply postcards, Short Stories - Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript teaches you the ins and outs of the submission process. Discover the right way to submit your short story to editors and publications. Download it today!
In This eBook Excerpt You'll Learn:
- The format of a cover letter and short story manuscript
- How to request writer's guidelines from a publication
- What a reply postcard is and how to format one
A Word of Advice on Writing Cover Letters From This eBook Excerpt:
Your cover letter is important for two reasons: It lets the editor know who you are and how you write. This is different than a query because you are submitting the story along with the letter. The best cover letters contain three short paragraphs, in the following order:
- The introductory paragraph states the story’s title, then hooks the editor with a brief description of the story.
- The biographical paragraph explains, in one or two sentences, a bit about yourself that is pertinent to the story, such as previous publishing credits, why you’re sending it to this particular publication or how a personal experience influenced your story.
- The concluding paragraph politely closes the letter.
While publication will hinge on the story itself, a strong cover letter will ensure your story will at least get a close read. Remember to keep it brief and to the point.
Do you love this excerpt? Write a review!