You'll Love This OnDemand Webinar If:
- You have a domain and are looking for tips on how to build their site
- You need assistance in building a site from scratch
- You have a website but aren’t sure what else they could do to enhance their site
Twitter, Facebook, blogs—all great tools. But without an effective home base to manage your presence, all you have are various online tools with no toolbox.
Author websites are critical for effective online marketing and readership growth. Even unpublished authors can benefit greatly from establishing a starter site. By creating a site, you build awareness of your books to create a platform, make contacts in the writing and media world, and begin accessing opportunities for your writing career.
Agents and editors do explore online and look at writers’ websites, and they also Google prospective clients frequently. Sometimes the available online content alone is enough to garner interest (rather than waiting for an unsolicited query). This webinar examines current authors whose agents or editors found them online because of their website and online visibility, not because of a slush pile query.
This 90-minute intensive webinar focuses on the simplest free tools to get a website up and running in less than 48 hours. Don’t worry if you’re not up to speed on your HTML, XML, or Java (or if you don’t even know what those are!). You don’t need experience with blogging or even a domain. This webinar teaches you how to build your website from the ground up.
While several different site-building platforms are addressed, this online tutorial video offers step-by-step instructions on setting up a site using WordPress—one of the best in-class systems for web sites today, which is free to use, open source, and continually improving.
In This OnDemand Webinar You'll Learn:
- 5 simple services that help you create a codeless website, for free, in an hour or less (plus what services to avoid)
- Absolute must-have elements for every author site, even if you’re unpublished
- How an author website constitutes visibility, and how it adds to your writer platform and your personal ability to sell books
- The difference between a blog and a website, and whether or not you need a blog
- How to get started with WordPress, either at WordPress.com or on your own domain
- Free WordPress themes vs. premium themes you might consider investing in
- Basic and free WordPress plug-ins that you need, plus how to extend the functionality of your site with more advanced plug-ins
- How to add multimedia to your site (audio, video, photos, etc.)
- How to integrate social media sharing tools onto your site
- Site upgrades or additional features you might want that would necessitate further investment
- An easy-to-understand explanation of domains and hosting (but you don’t need to own a domain or have hosting to get started!)
- Common mistakes and pitfalls of websites and blogs
- When you should hire a professional designer or site developer, and how much you can expect to spend
About Kathleen Ortiz:
Kathleen Ortiz (@kortizzle) is a former online editor and interactive designer, and uses her experience in online marketing to help authors build their communities and promote themselves and their books. She looks past the pages of a story and thinks of ways to help authors reach more readers so they can interact with the characters and their world. She is the Director of Subsidiary Rights and a Literary Agent for Nancy Coffey Literary & Media.
Do you love this online webinar? Write a review!
OnDemand webinars do not include a critique. Writer's Digest does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.